Monday, September 29, 2008

Breast Cancer Awareness Walk

Saturday was the three mile walk. Edifice, my employer, was a sponsor of the walk and we also formed a team to raise money and awareness. Thanks to all my friends and family that were kind enough to donate to the cause. There were a few employees from work that made it to the walk on Saturday. I took my dog, Yana. I know, many of you who know Yana may be wondering why I took her and not Foggy. Well, it's simple, Foggy would have tried to kill any other four legged creature he came across. Yana loves attention and I figured with all the other people that she'd be able to make it 3 miles. Plus, it was overcast and a little rainy that morning. Well, she did beautifully, at first. There were a lot of pink balloons around and she desperately wanted a balloon. We started the walk and she immediately had to 'lighten her load', if you get my drift. Luckily, I had thought ahead and brought a plastic bag to scoop the poop. But then I had to carry said poop for about a mile and a half. Yana continued to be a trooper. At about the two mile mark she started to fade. I stopped and let my group go on so that Yana could have a little break and I gave her some much appreciated water. The next half mile she was slow but we were making progress. Then, with about a half mile left, she just refused to walk. We were on the sidewalk out of peoples way at least. So, I'd go squat beside her and tell her how great she was doing and we'd start walking again. She'd walk for a few more blocks and then stop again and the whole cycle would repeat. She did get a lot of encouragement from passing walkers (that wasn't embarrassing!)! Then we came upon a big hill and Yana does not like hills. So, about half way up she stopped and there was no restarting her this time. So, yes, I had to carry my fifty pound dog up the hill (again, not embarrassing at all)! But after that I could see the end and she must have sensed it too because she didn't stop again and we made it, thank goodness we made it!!!!! I was super proud of her. Here she is at the end, recuperating...


On a more serious note, it was inspiring to see all the many breast cancer survivors and all the people that came out to support them. I saw a former client of mine, and breast cancer survivor, as well. It was great to see her again. Also, Rose, our office manager, walked with her sister, who is a two time survivor. Those two had the best time together and boy do they look alike.

It was a fun time and Yana has gotten her walking in for the rest of the year!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is too funny about Yana. And the picture of her completely sells the story!